The master bedroom is, so far, my favorite room in the house. I’m nicknaming this the “Rose Room”. Obviously, the beautiful scrapbook paper I used as wallpaper was my inspiration for all the furnishings and decor. Settle in for this post…there’s a lot going on in this room.
First, I started with the armoire. I used an unfinished cabinet as my base.
I removed one of the doors and took off the wood knobs. I then began all the reconstruction which included adding faux drawers, painting, and various jewelry findings. I removed the center bracket on the remaining door and added a piece of folded fabric.
The bed was my favorite project in this room. My mom had recently gifted me a couple of plain dollhouse beds that she found discounted. Of course, there is zero chance of me leaving anything plain or as-is, so I set to work. Here is what I started with, not bad but I knew I could do better.
I first stripped off all the bedding and foam. I then began glueing on all sorts of jewelry findings, small metalwork pieces, and roses. I then painted everything in a rosey copper metallic paint. Once the paint was dry, I dipped the bed in polyurethane to seal everything.
Finally, I began trimming, folding, and layering different fabrics until it was perfect. I topped it off with handmade pillows and a throw blanket I made from tiny crocheted flowers. Everything on this bed was handmade – from the pillows to the comforter where I painstakingly added each row of ruffles. This bed is definitely the prettiest thing I’ve ever made for a dollhouse.
I created a dressing screen and table for the room. The dressing screen is constructed from balsa wood and more of my jewelry findings. I used a bird bath that I had picked up somewhere on clearance and added a top to create the table. I then made a little flower vase, purse, whatnot bowl, and gloves.
I took various scrapbooking frames and filled them with pictures I printed from the internet. I hung the pictures on the wall behind the dressing area. I also decided to go with a store-bought area rug for the room.
I sanded all the edges and high points and then stained the vanity, wiping away most of the excess. I wanted an antiqued or aged look and this technique worked perfectly. I then began creating tiny bottles from beads and jewelry findings. I made a little tray that I placed a handmade compact, lipstick, nail polish, and makeup brush in. I then added a store-bought lamp. I had a straw hat with raffia trim. I removed the raffia, added my own embellishments, and hung it from the mirror. Lastly, I created a couple of simple necklaces that I allowed to hang out of a partially opened drawer.