Hutch Redesign

I decided to bash this Michael’s miniature hutch for use in the Linfield Kitchen.

First step was to deconstruct the unit.

With the bottom and top units reduced to shells,  I roughed out with pencil how I wanted to rework the shelves.

Starting with the bottom unit, I began constructing the shelves.  I constructed the shelves outside of the unit to allow for easier painting.  I used balsa board for the new shelves.

I decided not to use the center door and leave the center shelves open.  I covered the two side doors with corregated scrapbook paper after having removed the wooden knobs.

I dry fitted all the components one last time before painting.

I primed and painted all the bottom pieces.  I used a butter yellow on the shell, white for the shelves and door trim, and a soft green for the door panels.  It left it looking rather bright and baby nursery-ish so I used a dark brown paint and dry brushed the entire piece to antique it.

Before antiquing:

After antiquing:

Next I moved to the top unit.  I began constructing the shelving bits.  

Once everything was cut and dry fitted, I painted all the pieces.

I took the doors and added plexi to the back.

I covered the inside of the hutch with a print fabric.

I then began attaching all the shelves.

Once all the assembly was complete, I added glass beads for knobs and tiny jewelry findings as faux hinges.  Lastly, I began filling it with all my kitchen miniatures.

I can’t wait to place this in the Linfield kitchen!

This entry was posted in Dollhouses, How-To and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s