Tudor Side

For the side of the house, I added two small windows on the main floor.  These two windows will flank the fireplace in the living area.  I also needed to build a chimney to go along with the fireplace.  I marked out the basic placement onto the dollhouse wall.  I then took graph paper and made a template of the shape I wanted to create.  
Using the graph paper template, I cut out the shape from a piece of balsa wood.

 
I then built up the back of the cutout to my desired depth using square balsa strips.  I just layered the strips on top of each other until it was two strips thick. 

 Next I constructed the top of the chimney that will go on the roof (I’m sure there’s a proper name for this part of a chimney but I don’t know it :))

  
  
  I then added some handmade bricks to random places on both sections of the chimney and painted them.
  
I then applied a generous amount of matte Mod Podge on the bricks.  This seals them as well as provides a brick surface in which I can wipe away the grout adhesive I used in my next step. 

I used a spatula and spread the grout over the entire chimney wiping of my bricks as I went to expose them.

 Once the chimney pieces were dry, I attached them into place and began finishing the side to match the front.  

First I applied drywall mud all over and textured it with paper towels.  I then painted it antique white.  I next  glued paper clay to the bottom of the wall on either side of the chimney and created stones as I had done to my front steps.  
I added a cap to the top of the chimney using premade bricks and grout.  I then dry brushed the cap with black paint to simulate smoke stains. 
  I created non working shutters for the top floor window opening using the same technique used on the front door.  I also carried over my use of the handmade bricks underneath the window from the front of the house.
I added my strips under the eaves to match the front roof and glued a scrapbook cutout above the window.  I then added all my timbers. 
I dry brushed stain around the edge of each timbered section to age it.  
Finally I created more leaded “glass” to go in the small windows I added.  I also added small scrapbook cutout left overs above each of the small windows.

 
This was my first chimney construction so I know there are some design errors going on but I was happy with the look and just decided to roll with it.  

I am thrilled with the way the house is starting to come together.  On to the next side… 

  

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Dollhouses and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s