Before we begin exploring all the tiny rooms, let’s revisit the outside…
Now on to the inside…
As usual, I like to provide you with a picture of what the house would look like if I were any good at following instructions.
The first decision I made was to create a partially enclosed, wrapping staircase. This created a few interesting nooks on the first floor. I cut the stair runs that came with the kit into two sections. I used a foam poster board from Walmart to create the walls. I now understand why dealers charge so much for preassembled stairs. I don’t know that I would ever try to tackle creating my own staircase again. This single project took me well over a month of constant tweaking and redo’s to get it right…or at least good enough to fit.
In the living room area I used various embossed scrapbooking papers to create a grand ceiling. This house was my first attempt at papering the ceilings instead of plastering and painting. I am so happy I branched out and tried this. The ceilings are some of my favorite features in this house.
I used the thin floor planks that came with the kit in the living room only. After much sanding, staining, and varnishing, I cut the strips at various length and staggered the planks as I glued them to the floor.
You sometimes take a chance when ordering opened/used kits from EBay dealers and I found that the components for the side window were missing and I had to build up that opening from scratch. It did cause some unevenness around the window frame but nothing a cute pair of homemade curtains couldn’t hide.
The Kitchen and Dining Room
I am in love with my kitchen and dining floor. I discovered some paint sample cards in Home Depot for a marble look paint they carry. I took all the little sample cards for two of their colors (sorry, Home Depot) and cut each individual square and glueing them down. I then took more of the flooring strips that came with the house, white washed them, and applied them to the walls instead. I used a silver, embossed scrapbook paper to create a tin ceiling look.
I changed up the “tile” layout in the bay/dining area to better define it as a seperate space from the kitchen. I also created a room divider using a cheap wooden fan slat and papered the ceiling with a bold contrasting wallpaper. The ceiling medallion is a scrapbook frame found at Michael’s. And once again, the windows got my homemade curtain treatment.
Now up the stairs for more…
As you ascend the stairs, you enter into the bedroom.
I again used embossed scrapbook papers and frames on the ceiling. I papered right over the intended attic access as I moved that to another room. Instead of actual dollhouse wallpapers, I chose a coral and blue printed scrapbook paper. I printed a free parquet-look flooring paper from the Internet and applied and coated it with Mod Podge Lustre so it would appear glossed.
I used left over banister railing from another house kit and I shifted the dividing wall upstairs to the other side of the stairway opening. This better defined a second room space and helped me to create a tucked away large hall/lounge space.
The kit came with a wood piece to use as the ceiling above this windowed space. I decided to not use it and instead have it open all the way up to the attic roof. This created a loft area in the attic space directly above. This is also where my attic ladder it now located. I used more scrapbook paper in the walls and a tile paper from ItsyBitsyMini.com for the flooring.
I also took the two corner, single shelves this house was intended to have and built them up into bookcases which I embellished with more cutouts from a wooden fan slat. I trimmed out the window to match the trim on the French doors in the bedroom.
By shifting the wall at the staircase and adding two, small wall sections at the back, I was able to create a small bathroom space. I used tile paper from ItsyBitsyMinis.com for the flooring, embossed silver scrapbook paper for the ceiling, and standard scrapbook paper for the walls. I brought in more of the dental crown moulding used in the French door trim to create a room divider.
Now to the attic…
The small space left in the attic is now a proper attic storage space. A simple “tile” scrapbook paper on the floor and newspaper wallpaper found on free mini printable website was used. I also used craft sticks to create an unfinished attic look. I also trimmed out a faux door.
Now I just need to add the back shingles and this project is done.